Powerful programs to educate and entertain
The California Environmental Legacy Project is a new kind of educational media project. Through an integrated set of programs and media resources, it builds public understanding about the deep and inextricable connections we have with the natural world, shaping the very attitudes, behaviors and public policies that will guide our nation toward a sustainable future.
We will take audiences on an unforgettable journey of discovery and inquiry into California’s past, present and possible future environments using five interwoven media programs:
- “Becoming California,” a two-hour PBS television documentary, will journey across 2 billion years of California’s history and explore the fundamental nature of our relationship to the environment.
- The Changing Places Initiative will connect Californians to our natural environment through a series of regional films, digital media and print materials produced for parks, museums, science centers and schools throughout California.
- An Online Educational Portal will foster meaningful connections with California’s natural environment through unparalleled access to high definition video, animations, images, maps and social networking capabilities that provide opportunities for personal engagement in the life of California’s natural systems.
- A K-12 Education Program will improve teacher knowledge and capacity to deliver effective learning opportunities to students through professional development and new digital media resources for learning.
- Audience Research will guide development of Legacy Project media and provide feedback on its overall effectiveness.
Our team of distinguished scientists, leading educators and award-winning media professionals are working together to create high quality media about our natural environment that educates, entertains and inspires. Combining rich visual imagery, digital distribution and artful storytelling, our production team will create programs that awaken public understanding of the intimate connections we have to the natural world and motivate us to act sustainably for a sustainable future.